January 21, 2009

"Wholly Worthy of Forgiveness"

Everyone practicing A Course In Miracles knows this; we have our favorite lessons, sections, chapters, and we refer to them more than to other parts of the Course. But then, when everything seems to fail to help us find back peace and joy, and we are willing to sit for a moment to let the miracle occur, anything can come to mind to help and guide us to the dawn of light in us.

dawning of the light
The other day I reached, or better admitted to and expressed a point of hopelessness and futility for which I really needed a solution, because it was just too painful to ignore it and waste any more time on it. I shared it, admitted defeat and failure, and really did not know what to do. Nothing new, it was just more obvious at that time. So I sat in that, joining the one I had a grievance with in prayer and the desire for change. This line occurred to me: "regard one brother as wholly worthy of forgiveness." I remembered the Golden Rule, admitting that I need to give/offer forgiveness, because that is what I want for myself. I focused on the idea of "wholly worthy of forgiveness" and asked or was willing that my brother be wholly forgiven. I can't do it, but it can be done. It can and will be done by the Holy Spirit the moment I invite him and let him do it. That is so true. It was done. There was the light again. Tears rolled down my cheeks, I started to laugh and experienced communication again. My grievance was undone. Thank God. How easy it is, if I be willing.

Here is the context for the line that came to mind. I love it. My concept of myself seemed real and inescapable. Wrong. All my investment in it - misplaced. Desire something else, and you can be sure it will be given you.

"You cannot give yourself your innocence, for you are too confused about yourself. But should one brother dawn upon your sight as wholly worthy of forgiveness, then your concept of yourself is wholly changed. Your "evil" thoughts have been forgiven with his, because you let them all affect you not. No longer do you choose that you should be the sign of evil and of guilt in him. And as you give your trust to what is good in him, you give it to the good in you.

In terms of concepts, it is thus you see him more than just a body, for the good is never what the body seems to be. The actions of the body are perceived as coming from the "baser" part of you, and thus of him as well. By focusing upon the good in him, the body grows decreasingly persistent in your sight, and will at length be seen as little more than just a shadow circling round the good. And this will be your concept of yourself, when you have reached the world beyond the sight your eyes alone can offer you to see. For you will not interpret what you see without the Aid That God has given you. And in His sight there is another world.

You live in that world just as much as this. For both are concepts of yourself, which can be interchanged but never jointly held. The contrast is far greater than you think, for you will love this concept of yourself, because it was not made for you alone. Born as a gift for someone not perceived to be yourself, it has been given you. For your forgiveness, offered unto him, has been accepted now for both of you."
(A Course In Miracles, Chapter 31.VII)


Interested in more about A Course In Miracles? Please check out our new fantastic A Course In Miracles documentary. See and experience what the practice of this revolutionary mind training offers you:

A Course In Miracles Unleashed



Technorati-Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: