April 2, 2007

Palm Sunday and Holy Week

- A New Perspective Through A Course In Miracles -

What does Palm Sunday and Holy Week stand for? Memories of a glorious entry into Jerusalem come to mind, a confronting teaching-learning situation in the temple, the last supper, the “betrayal” of Judas, followed by excruciating torture, culminating in a crucifixion of cruelty that is virtually impossible to imagine or admit to. (Picture source)




Yet what is it really? Many say, Jesus died for our sins, that he was crucified to save us from our sins, that God sent him here to die for us. The magnitude of the Love of God and Jesus is measured by this “sacrifice” of the Son of God. Yet can this be true? Can a loving Father sacrifice His most beloved Son? What would such a sacrifice achieve?

How come that in famous movies like Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" the resurrection is only touched upon briefly? Because is is not really accepted and embraced. Because I don't really accept it. Because you don't really accept it. Yet it is accomplished. He IS risen. Fact is fact, and to believe otherwise is merely foolish. Is it only a matter of time then? The time I take to hold on to conflict and deny the truth? Free will does not mean that I can establish the curriculum. It means only that I can elect what I want to take at given time.

The resurrection inevitably shows me that this world is completely meaningless, non-existent and without effect, the body is not the home of the Son of God, nor anything I should invest with attributes to make lovely what I hate. I am not a body, I am not weak, but strong in the likeness of my Creator. Therefore the body is of no real use to me. It can offer me nothing I really want.

By looking at the resurrection I find a different idea and meaning in Palm Sunday and Holy Week. As stated in A Course In Miracles (see chapter 20 of the Text), Palm Sunday is “the celebration of victory and the acceptance of the truth.”
“Easter is the sign of peace, not pain. A slain Christ has no meaning. But a risen Christ becomes the symbol of the Son of God's forgiveness on himself; the sign he looks upon himself as healed and whole. This week begins with palms and end with lilies, the white and holy sign the Son of God is innocent. Let no dark sign of crucifixion intervene between the journey and its purpose; between the acceptance of the truth and its expression. This week we celebrate life, not death… Easter is not the celebration of the cost of sin, but of its end.”
This again is Jesus speaking:
“This Easter I would have the gift of your forgiveness offered by you to me, and returned by me to you. We cannot be united in crucifixion and in death. Nor can the resurrection be complete till your forgiveness rests on Christ, along with mine.”
He goes on, saying,
“I was a stranger and you took me in, not knowing who I was. Yet for your gift of lilies you will know. In your forgiveness of this stranger, alien to you and yet your ancient Friend, lies his release and your redemption with him… Look on your risen Friend, and celebrate his holiness along with me. For Easter is the time of your salvation, along with mine.”
Conceptually I may accept this or not, it will have meaning for me only if I let it be true for me, offered to me by grace and through the love of Jesus. I asked for it, and there it is. I ask for help to open up to it fully, to accept it in its totality, realizing it is accepted completely or not at all.

No comments: